Congress members argue that instead of allotting land for religious structures focus should be on providing space for graveyards.
At the meeting of the Standing Committee held on Monday, the members mostly focused on pending relocation of poles after widening of many roads that were leading to accidents and the issue of government lands being allocated to religious structures.
Members from Congress pointed out that these poles were causing accidents, particularly during the nights and asked the mayor to immediately focus on the pressing issue. When the issue of land allocation to religious structures came up for discussion, they vehemently opposed the move saying that there were many places of worship, but what citizens lack are graveyards. Instead of providing space for religious structures the government should give land for burial and cremation.
On the issue of occupation of parks and pending court cases, the members from Congress asked as to what the Council was doing. For which the estate wing was asked to produce related information by the next Standing Committee meeting. The issue of hoardings also brought up, where the issue of delay in induction of committee was also brought to the fore. The other subjects discussed included, relocation of cell towers, the issue of which is also in the courts.
The mayor instructed the commissioner, GHMC to hold a meeting with committee members within two weeks’ time with regard to shifting of electrical poles. He also directed the commissioner to hold an enquiry on Srinivas, EE, electrical, South Zone. Action would be initiated based on the report in the next standing committee meeting. Directions were given to AMOH (assitant medical officers of health) to inspect personally the quality of oil, being used by vendors. The engineer-in-chief was asked to produce a list of lakes, which have been proposed by the next meeting.
- Development of road from Banjara Hills Road No 2 to Jubilee Hills Road No 5 (Krishna nagar junction) via Annapurna Studio — Rs.720 lakhs
- Consultancy for preparation for detailed project report for improvement and modernisation of various lakes / tanks of Hyderabad —Rs.1,25,67,408
- Widening of Road from Moosapet Cheruvu connecting to Railway Line via IDL. Revised estimate worked out to Rs.1517.35 lakhs.
- Road widening from Quli Qutub Shah Tombs to Old Bombay Highway – Land Compensation Rs.22,97,923
- Hiring of vehicles (cars) to various officers working in GHMC
- Road widening from Tarnaka to Nagole Bridge, Administrative sanction for the payment of land compensation amounting to Rs.54,25,000
- Laying of BT road from Shastripuram bus stop to railway gate at Shastripuram main road, Shivrampally in Rajendranagar Rs.42 lakh
- Laying of BT road from NH 9 to Shastripuram in Rajendranagar Rs.41 lakhs.
- Construction of Community Hall at Yadagiri Nagar, Vengala Rao Nagar division, Rs.22 lakh
- Construction of Community Hall opp Pochamma Temple, Yousufguda division — Rs.26 lakh