1. Tender leg of lamb approx. – 1 kg
2. Onion – 2 to 3 medium-sized ones
3. Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
4. Raw papaya – 3/4th tbsp
5. Garam masala – 2 tsp
6. Kebab-chinni powder – 1 tsp
7. Almonds – 8 to 10
8. Red chillies – 3 to 4
9. Thick cream curd – 1 cup
10. Saffron – 1 pinch
11. Salt to taste
12. Bay leaf – one or two
13. Ghee – 50 ml
14. Kevda water – 1 tsp
15. Coriander leaves and lemon wedges for garnishing
1. Wash, clean and dry the leg of lamb and make gashes with the knife.
2. Apply salt, ginger garlic and raw papaya paste, leave it aside for 1 to 2 hours
3. Make the paste of all other ingredients and apply it thoroughly, along with curd, to the leg.
4. Wrap it up in a cling sheet and leave it in the fridge, for 8 to 10 hours or till the next day.
5. Bring it to room temperature,heat ghee in a big pan, add the bay leaf and add the marinated leg, keep frying it from all the side till it gets brown.
6. Put half a cup of water and cook it slowly till it is tender, and well-roasted.
7. Sprinkle some kevda water, garnish with coriander leaves, lemon and onion slices ;and serve hot in a big platter.
Raan Musallam is the tender leg of a lamb, marinated roasted or grilled. It’s an exotic delicious recipe which is generally served as main course at the table of nobles and on special occasions, though low in fat it is rich in proteins with high calories.