A new academic year brings with a long checklist. As your child is all set to begin his school year, let’s see what it takes to make a great school lunch
June brings with it rain, the end of vacations and a new academic year. As children and their mothers get into the routine, the universal problem of uneaten lunch boxes, kids eating from their friends’ more fun lunches or from the roadside vendor comes to the front.
Talking about school lunches, Dr Charita Adikane, chief nutritionist, Apollo Hospital, Secunderabad says, “Packing lunches everyday can be a problem. The meals need to be balanced, i.e they should contain an equal amount of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals and fibre content.” Dr Charita suggests that the food should be presented in a fun way.
“ One could make soya pulao, pav bhaji (with less oil), wheat noodles with vegetables, brown bread sandwiches with vegetables, soya chunks and sauce can be grilled to make an interesting sandwich.”Many believe that although the food might not appeal to children initially, presentation can help interest the child and they will slowly develop a like for it.
Peanut butter oat bites
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rice crispies
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove pan from heat and stir in peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, honey and vanilla. Stir in Rice Krispies and oats and allow mixture to cool.
- Stir in raisins and chocolate chips. Form mixture into 1-inch balls or squares, then roll each ball in chopped peanuts.
Chicken salad wrap
- 2 cans chunk chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons fresh salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 flour tortillas
- 12 lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl combine the chicken, onion, mayonnaise, salsa, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Line each tortilla with two lettuce leaves, then divide chicken salad mixture evenly and roll up.
Cheese and veggies on toast
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small tomato
- 2 mushrooms
- 1/2 red or green pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Mixed herbs/ black pepper
- Toast the bread and spread the peanut butter on it.
- Spread garlic on the bread. Place tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers on each toast.
- Place the cheese slice on the bread and place in the grill for 5 mins.
- Season with herbs and pepper