In an article, P Anuradha Reddy, convener, Intach Hyderabad, writes, “ St Ann’s Convent (established in 1856) was one among the many excellent educational institutions set up in Secunderabad. The original building housed an Irish Regiment.
A high school was started in 1861 by Somasundaram Mudaliar and was mainly funded by the government. It was on this account that it was named Mahboob College after the Nizam VI.
Girls’ Patashala was established as a primary school by A Venugopal Pillai in 1881. Subsequently, due to the untiring efforts of Padma Rao Mudaliar, this school was upgraded and shifted to a new location in 1932 and was renamed as Keyes High School after the then Resident of Hyderabad, Lt Col Terence Keyes, Who arranged for grant of land and funds.
Padma Rao Mudaliar also raised funds for construction of Sir William Barton School. Due to his efforts, three new blocks were added to the Mahboob College High School.
The Hindu Boys Hostel (established in1907), which was closed down, was revived by Padma Rao. This is now the Centenary School near the Parade Ground.
The Islamia High School for Boys (established in 1882), St Mary’s High School (established in 1885), and St Patrick’s High School, were amongst the others.
Bolarum had a medical school as early as 1841. The highly qualified staff also taught students of Hyderabad Medical School.”