NICOSIA: Syrian army deserters destroyed a military control post in the northeast overnight, killing three officers and capturing 19 soldiers in the process, a rights group said on Monday.
The attack happened in the village of Al Bara in the Edleb region, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, adding that none of the army deserters involved was killed.The regular army post was completely destroyed.
Western powers vowed to seek new ways to punish Damascus amid anger after Russia and China blocked a UN resolution.
Syrian consulate in Istanbul attacked
About 400 protesters threw objects and tried to storm the Syrian consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul Sunday, Xinhua reported. Police fired tear gas to disperse the protesters in front of the consulate located in Nisantasi area of Istanbul.
A report said the attack on the consulate took place following the news of shelling in
Homs, which the Syrian opposition said claimed the lives of over 200 civilians. Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made a statement in response to the Homs attack, calling on the UN to take a position on the subject of loss of lives.
EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria
The EU may introduce a new package of sanctions against Syria, Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders has said.
“Belgium will actively contribute to this process together with its European partners,” Reynders told the La Libre Belgique daily.
Reynders’s statement comes as the international community tightens pressure on the Syrian President who is believed to be behind a brutal crackdown on the opposition.
UN Security Council members Russia and China on Saturday blocked a draft resolution on Syria that called on al-Assad to step down. Thirteen of the members voted in favour of the draft.
Around 5,400 people have lost their lives in thecrackdown on protesters since March, since last year, according to the UN.