Kolkata: Three months after a laptop snag killed an MNC employee, another man in Kolkata was found dead close to his burnt laptop in his bedroom, police said on Sunday. Asphyxiation is suspected to be the cause of death.
The body of Saptarishi Sarkar, 30, an employee of a private firm, was detected around 11am on Sunday. His bedroom was full of smoke when its door was opened in Haridevpur neighbourhood in the southern fringes of Kolkata city, police said.
“Saptarishi Sarkar was found dead inside his house. All the windows and doors of his room were closed and it was full of smoke and there was an acrid smell. A burnt laptop near his bed was found which probably caught fire from a cigarette that he was smoking,” said Tapan Paul of the Haridevpur police station.
His body has been sent for post-mortem, said Paul, ruling out any foul play.
“It seems he fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand and the laptop kept nearby caught fire. With all windows closed he may have died of asphyxiation,” added Paul.
Another city resident Sayan Chowdhury, was found dead under similar circumstances in November 2011. A partially charred laptop was found close to his body. The laptop was plugged to a charger and its earphones were in the victim’s ears.
Experts feel the habit of using a laptop on a bed or going to sleep with the device could prove fatal.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Sites That Link to this Post
- Laptop City Hall: Mayor Paul Soglin out next week for hip surgery | February 8, 2012
- Burnt laptop kills Kolkata man – Postnoon | Best Today Computers | February 6, 2012